NAME OF THE ACTIVITY: WOODEN BALCONY GREENHOUSE
Do you want to build a greenhouse for your patio, terrace or balcony garden, but due to lack of space you subside your plan? If yes, then you’re reading a perfect tutorial: make your own greenhouse by this economical DIY hothouse idea in five simple steps. The greenhouse should be placed in the sunlight then in front of a window, preferably exposed to the south/south-west.
STAGES: This activity has 4 stages:
- Prepare all the materials needed beforehand.
- Research about which are the right plants for your project.
- Plan and follow the instructions carefully.
- Create your own wooden greenhouse.
You will learn
- You will learn about how to plant and care for plants to grow;
- How to make and use a wooden greenhhouse;
- Learn to use the right tools to create something by yourself
After completing the activity, you will achieve the following skills:
- Plant something.
- Take care of your plants.
- Improve your knowledge about planting.
- Improve your gardening skills.
- Improve eco-friendly skills.
After completing the activity, the learners will acquire the following competences:
- Capacity of growing plants
- Capacity to successfully plant seeds.
- Improve the recycle and ecologic mentality.
- Organize, plan and develop an entire project.
- Take care overtime of your wooden green house.
- Four similar sized window frames with clear transparent glass
- One window of a bit smaller size but of same width
- Wooden pallets and handle to open it
- Drill, two hinges and screws
Gather all the items listed above. Clean the windows and paint the frames with your favorite color. Pick the windows one by one and drill holes in each frame so that you can screw and join them later to make a greenhouse structure.
Fix and join all the similar sized windows from all the four sides together using screws. Leave the top and bottom part of the structure.
Put the smaller window on top of the joined structure and measure how much space is left open.
Take a pallet, cut it to the measured size and fix that on top of the remaining open space of windowed structure.
Screw both of the hinges on wooden board and screw the fifth window on hinge and also fix a handle on the frame of fifth window so that you can open and close your glassed greenhouse easily.