Pallet furniture has become very popular. Furniture from pallets are cheap and look impressive. Various equipment can be made from pallets. Europallets give a lot of arrangement options. As part of this activity we will show step by step how to make a desk from pallets.
The activity shall be implemented in 3 stages:
- Preparation of materials
- Dismantle the pallet
- Assembly pallet desk
You will learn:
- To make simple calculations: addition, multiplication.
- Distinguish between units of measure: length, surface.
- Convert the units.
- Search additional information on the Internet.
After completing the activity, you will achieve the following skills:
- How to search (e.g. on the Internet) for information on the types of wood, pallet dimensions, etc.
- Making simple research observations.
- Making simple measuring activities (measuring, quantity calculation).
- Using simple measuring tools.
- Performing simple mathematical operations.
- Developing manual skills.
- Developing the ability of time organizing.
- Developing interpersonal skills (independence, creativity, resourcefulness, openness to new experience).
- Organizing the workplace.
- Improving language skills by learning new words and how to use them.
After completing the activity, the learners will achieve the following skills:
- Reading and writing competence (careful reading with understanding instruction).
- Mathematical competence (counting, using simple measuring tools, mathematical thinking).
- IT competences (using information society technologies, using a computer, searching for information on the Internet, critical use of information contained on the Internet).
- Creativity competence.
- Work planning and organisation.
- 1 pallet (or 2 if you plan to make the top surface with pallet wood).
- 5 mm plywood to make the bottom surface.
- wood floor board with interlock (to make the top surface).
- 4 legs (e.g. from Ikea).
- Nails (10mm) and screws (at least 40mm).
- a wood saw
- a metal saw
- a hammer with a nail puller
- a screw gun
How to build a pallet desk?
1. Preparation of materials:
Check (for example on the Internet) available pallets and their dimensions. Typically, the dimensions of the pallet are 120 x 80 cm (EUR 1). Choose the dimensions of the other elements - plywood and floor board - so that they match the size of the pallet. These can be, for example:
- 2 plywood panels with dimensions of 60 x 80 cm
- 5 wooden floorboards with a width of 16 cm
2. Dismantle the pallet:
There are two ways of doing this:
- using a nail puller, this is quite long,
- using a metal saw and sawing between the two parts to dismantle them, this is faster.
Next, clean the pallet of dirt, level unevenness and remove splinters with thick sandpaper or grinder. Impregnate wood. This is especially important if you want the desk from the pallets to be also outside (balcony, terrace) and it is resistant to moisture.
3. Assembly pallet desk:
- Cut the floor boards to fit the pallet board length
- Adjust the plywood boards to get an overall surface equal to pallet board length x cross-board (wood floor board)
- Now you have every parts at the right size and can build up the desk
- Nail the plywood into the three bottom boards.
- Screw the pallet blocks through the bottom boards.
- Screw the pallet block through the cross-boards.
- Screw the floor board into the cross-boards.
- Screw the leg into the bottom boards.