Paper figures like flowers are a wonderful decoration of any interior. Making a paper figure using the origami technique is relatively simple (depends on figure type).
Origami art comes from China, although Japan is traditionally considered as its original home. It quickly spread also in Europe. In the twentieth century, the rules for creating figures were set: the starting point of each figure is a square sheet of paper. You can use clean or colored paper to make a figure.
In this activity we will show step by step how to create a simple figure: flower tulip.
Origami gives life to an ordinary piece of paper.
The activity shall be implemented in 2 stages:
- Collection all necessary materials
- Making origami figure - tulip
You will learn:
- Distinguish flat geometric figures (e.g. square, triangle, including isosceles triangle, diamond).
- To make calculations: addition, multiplication.
- Convert the quantity, units of length.
- Simplicity, aesthetics, accuracy and discipline.
- Search additional information on the Internet.
After completing the activity, you will achieve the following skills:
- Logical thinking.
- Constructive thinking, situational imagination.
- Accuracy and manual precision.
- Facilitate memorizing.
- Spatial imagination.
- Creative abilities.
After completing the activity, the learners will achieve the following skills:
- Reading and writing competence (careful reading with understanding, understanding and using new concepts).
- Mathematical competence (counting, using simple measuring tools, mathematical thinking).
- IT competences (using information society technologies, using a computer, searching for information on the Internet, critical use of information contained on the Internet).
- Creativity competence.
- Work planning and organisation.
- Origami paper in two colours, one for flower, second for flower stalk.
- Toothpick (to make a flower stalk)
- To make a paper tulip you need a piece of paper (origami paper) in the shape of a square (e.g. 10 cm x 10 cm or other size). You need also another colour paper (green one) for making a flower stalk.
- Prepare square papers with the side length that you decide.
How to prepare a tulip from paper?
1. We cut a square from a colored piece of paper. We fold it in half diagonally (so that a isosceles triangle forms), unfold it, fold it diagonally again, but in the other direction. Than unfold it again. Fold in half along one side, fold out, fold along the second side, unfold. There should be a bend net (see: picture No 1).
2. We fold the paper in a triangle along the line from the corner to the center of the square, fold the middle lines inwards (see: picture No 2). There should be two triangles connecting at the apex.
3. Each of the triangles fold so that its lower corners merge with the top of the triangle. A diamond shape consisting of two curving triangles will be created. Slide the sides (triangles) so as to have a diamond on both sides of the entire page, without bends (see: picture 3).
4. Fold four sides inward. Insert the resulting flakes together. Blow air into the hole that was formed on one of the tops (see: picture No 4).
5. Wrap the petals. Create a flower stalk: cut a strip of green paper and glue it to the toothpick. Cut the leaf and stick. Insert the toothpick into the flower. Tulip ready (see: picture No 5).