NAME OF THE ACTIVITY: Mason jar lights
Decorate your garden with fairytale mason jar sconces. It will take you only 1 hour to make and cost you 40€.
STAGES: This activity has 6 stages.
- Cut 2 boards;
- Prepare the boards;
- Apply saw tooth and hangers;
- Cut pieces of twine;
- Wrap and set the jar;
- Add the led lights
- You will learn how to cut 2 wood boards;
- How to prepare wooden boards;
- What LEDs are;
- Learn basic size calculations;
After completing the activity you will achieve the following skills:
- How to construct mason jar lights;
- How to prepare wood;
- How to calculate where to apply things onto something so it is level and/or equal or symmetric;
- How to account for weight;
- What are LEDs and how much they can help saving electricity.
After completing the activity, the learners will achieve the following skills:
- Capacity of implementing small calculations by (1) cutting 2 pieces of wood the same size and shape; (2) know how to sand and treat wood; (3) calculate where to apply hangers and saw tooths.
- Capacity create Mason Jar Lights.
- Understand measures.
- Improve their recycling and ecologic mentality.
- Organize, plan and develop an entire project.
2 wooden boards
Old cotton rag or old t-shirt
2 saw tooth
2 jars with lids
Step 1 – Cut 2 wooden boards with the following size: 2.5 cm x 15 cm x 27 cm
Step 2 – Sand off all rough edges with sandpaper.
Step 3 – Carefully stain your base wood with a color of your choice. Apply the stain to all surfaces, using straight strokes in the same direction of the wood grain.
Step 4 – Wipe wet stain off immediately with a day cotton rag or an old t-shirt, and wait 1-3 hours, until it dries.
Step 5 – Mount the saw tooth picture hanger first, on the back of each board, about 3cm down and centred.
Step 6 – Mount the wrought iron hook centred 7-14 cm down.
Step 7 – Make sure to use black screws so they won’t be noticeable.
Step 8 – Cut 4 pieces of twine with 60 cm. You will need 2 for each Mason Jar.
Step 9 – Lay one piece of twine horizontal across the board. Thread the second piece thru the iron hook and on top of the first piece of twine. This will create an A shape.
Step 10 – Place you first mason jar on the top of the twine and wrap the bottom piece around the mouth of the jar. Tie a bow, then a simple knot on each side with the second string.
Step 11 – Add the LED lights into the jar, and tape the on/off switch to the inside of the lid, to hide it from view.