NAME OF THE ACTIVITY: Custom potted hanging herb garden
Hanging herb gardens are very useful and can be created even in small spaces to bring them to life. You just need to buy the potted herbs, that you can look for on the internet, choosing the ones you will use most, to better understand for what kind of cooking you can use them. If you have children or pets, make sure that the possible hurtful plants are not reachable to them (cats and dogs may have plants that are poisonous to them, look online to find out more about this). You will also need to gather some wood and terracotta pots, with possible 1 bag of soil, to replant the plant into the new pots. You can also buy spray paint to decorate the pots if you would like.
STAGES: This activity has 4 stages.
- Buy and prepare all the items;
- Paint the pots;
- Replant the herbs;
- Make the structure.
- You will learn about herbs that you can use for food, tea or scent your house and cloths;
- How to make a hanging shelf
- What kind of herbs there are and how to mix them;
- Learn basic size calculations;
After completing the activity you will achieve the following skills:
- Make a hanging structure.
- Organize your work.
- Improve your knowledge about herbs.
- Improve your math skills.
- Improve your cooking.
- Know more about essential herbs.
- Improve recycling and eco-friendly skills.
After completing the activity, the learners will achieve the following skills:
- Capacity of implementing small calculations by (1) preparing the boards; (2) cutting the boards; (3) making the structure.
- Capacity to make a hanging structure and to understand how it is done.
- Recognise and understand what herbs are and what they can be used for.
- Improve their recycling and ecologic mentality.
- Organize, plan and develop an entire project.
5 planks 1.27 cm wide and 61 cm long
8 stripes of 0.5 thick rod, 92 cm long
4 threaded rod coupling
20 nuts/washers of 0.5 cm
4 crown bolts of 0.5 cm
Hole saw of 8.89 cm
Prep your pots!
Step 1 – Paint your pots the way you like!
Step 2 – Let them dry.
Step 3 – transfer the plants.
Make the planter
Step 1 – Choose wood. We used 5 x 1.27cm wide boards from an old pallet we had. It saved us money plus the wood looks aged already
Step 2 – Cut to size. Ours were cut to 61cm long.
Step 3 – Cut holes. We used 8.89 cm holes to fit our terra cotta pots. With a 8.89 hole saw bit and a drill center your holes. We made three holes per board at 12cm from the edge then 30cm then 50cm. For our hanging herb garden, we used 5 boards total.
Step 4 – Drill holes in four corners of each board 2.5cm from each side for threaded rods. Bit needs to be just bigger than your threaded rod.
Step 5 – We hung ours from a drywall ceiling so we drilled holes using 1.27cm in hole saw bit in ceiling to fit the crown bolts.
Step 6 – Attach the crown bolts to one side of threaded rod. Leave about 2.5cm – 4cm on one side of crown bolt.
Step 7 – Squeeze crown bolt and place through ceiling hole (it till reopen on other side to provide an anchor to hang from).
Step 8 – Slide first board on the threaded rod and through the pre-drilled small holes. Keep at desired location by using the washer and nut to hold in place. This may take some time to thread all the way to desired location.
Step 9 – Attach couplings and next four threaded rods and repeat step 8 until you are out of shelving.