You can have your own indoor greenery made by yourself in few minutes! It does not only serve as a decoration, but it also improves the indoor air quality. There is no need to have a big space allocated for it because you can choose the option which fits better your possibilities. All the necessary materials are also very easy to find.
The activity shall be implemented in 4 stages:
- Prepare all the materials needed beforehand.
- Research about which are the adequate indoor plants for a terrarium.
- Plan and follow the instructions carefully.
- Create your own terrarium.
You will learn:
- How to conduct advanced researches on Internet.
- Work with spatial calculations.
- To work with solid figures.
- Use basic calculation estimations.
After completing the activity, you will achieve the following skills:
- Make simple estimations.
- Improve your gardening abilities.
- Develop ICT research skills.
- Learn about which plants and conditions are adequate for a terrarium.
- Use your imagination for decoration.
After completing the activity, the learners will acquire the following competences:
- Careful reading in order to avoid any possible mistake.
- Estimation making and problem solving by trial and error methodology.
- Capacity to put in practice a theoretical research using ICT methodologies.
- Gardening competences.
- Organization, planning and development of the whole creation process.
- Glass vessel, jar or the recipient you want to use
- Potting soil
- Small pebbles
- Indoor plants
- Decoration (sand, small toys)
- A spoon (optional)
How to create your own handmade terrarium?
1. Prepare the materials you will need to use to develop the activity starting by all the recipient, potting soil, the indoor plants you want to use and the decoration you want to include.
2. Which are indoor plants? Which plants are more suitable to have in a terrarium? Do an advanced research on Google, which is very useful in order to obtain the most appropriate results.
To do so, write the key word in the browser. Then, press “Settings” button and select “Advanced search”.
You should then decide the filters you want to use in your search (for example without the word “air”) and you can also narrow the results by for example, languages. This tool will provide you more accurate results in your search.
You can find all the plants listed in a normal garden store. We recommend you use at least 4, depending on their size.
3. You will need to measure work with the available space by yourself: calculate how many plants you can have on your recipient, the potting soil and of course, the type and the quantity of decoration you want to put in.
1. Choose an appropriate recipient, it can be a round, rectangle, it does not matter. We recommend you to use a “big” one (eg. Glass vessel) the first time you create your own terrarium. Bear in mind that the smaller the recipient is, more difficult to work on it. No ideas about how to make it appealing? You will be surprised about how many possibilities of decoration and motives are easily implementable! Just search “handmade terrarium” on the net.
2. Put the small plebes as a plain basis. Bear in mind that you will add the potting soil, decoration and the plants, so calculate properly that it is enough space for everything! Do not worry in case you don´t achieve it at first attempt, you can remove plebes and soil as much times you need.
Image by http://www.cbc.ca/parents/play/view/diy-terrariums-for-kids
3. Then add the potting soil on the plebes. Create a plain layer. To do so, you can use a spoon in case you don´t want to use your hands to flatten it. Calculate well, it should be enough space to cover the roots of the plants.
4. Now its´s time for the most important thing: plants. Either with the spoon or with your hands, decide where you want to put the plants and make a round deep hole to plant the cacti (for example). Be sure you cover all its roots when you transplant them: it should be a circle deep enough to allow so.
5. You can add another layer such as sand for example or leave as it is. Include some little plebes or rocks.
Image by https://pics-about-space.com/nasa-water-cycle-animation?p=1#
6. Leave your imagination fly! You can include different motives for decoration: small toys, flowers, plants or anything you wish, is up to you!
In case you like it, you can make it more complicated with smaller recipients or you can create several ones with different topics.